UK legislation (The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2006, Statutory Instrument 2006 No. 3289) relating to recycling waste electrical and electronic equipment ("WEEE") came into force on 1 July 2007 to introduce measures to minimise the amount of WEEE which is disposed of as unsorted municipal waste and to achieve a high level of separate collection of WEEE. Currently, most WEEE is disposed of with general domestic waste and is land filled. Separate collection allows WEEE to be recycled, this saves energy and resources and avoids hazardous materials from WEEE going to landfill. On certain items of new electrical and electronic equipment which you buy you will see the symbol:
This symbol means that you should not dispose of such products in your dustbin with your mixed domestic waste, but should do so separately.
In helping to separately collect WEEE you will be playing a key role in ensuring that more effective recycling as required by the regulations takes place that and the amount of WEEE being land filled is reduced to a minimum. www.recycle-more.co.uk also offers tips and advice on all aspects of recycling, making it easier and quicker to protect our environment and recycle more!
Distributors of new Electric and Electronic Equipment (or EEE) also have a part to play in reducing the amount of WEEE going into landfill sites. Aquahot is "doing our bit" under these regulations by offering private households a free take-back of their WEEE on a like-for-like basis when they buy a new Electrical or Electronic product.
Such WEEE will be accepted by Aquahot provided that:
- The WEEE falls within the scope of the WEEE Regulations (as defined in Schedules 1 and 2)
- The WEEE is returned within 28 days of purchase
- The WEEE is a) of equivalent type to and b) has fulfilled the same function as the supplied equipment. (For example, if a private household buys a quartz heater from us we would accept their old quartz heater and prevent it going into a landfill site by disposing of it safely)
- The WEEE is from a private household, as defined in the regulations.
- The WEEE returned is exclusively in accordance with the regulations (there should be no superfluous packaging or any additional waste materials falling outside the scope of the regulations).
Please note that
Aquahot reserves the right to make reasonable charges for the cost of transportation and handling of any non-qualifying waste goods returned to Aquahot in error.
Aquahot will only cover reasonably incurred transportation costs, and will not normally pay for additional services such as insurance or courier collection.
If you wish to return your WEEE item please email firstname.lastname@example.org with WEEE in the subject. Your email should include the following information:
The customer order number
Brief details of the relevant WEEE that you propose to return (for example, manufacturer, model general description, size, weight)
Your contact details (name, email, telephone, address)
Aquahot will then contact you to make arrangements as necessary.
Please note that whilst Aquahot offers this service in accordance with the regulations you are not under an obligation to use it.